A cartoon might help!

DAILY CARTOON click to enlarge
ANDERTOONS.COM TECHNOLOGY CARTOONS

Sunday 1 April 2012

A Cable Car and an Important Corner

Still in Germany, a morning with light fog at Rüdesheim am Rhein.


The Rhine river levels were still low - look at that long gangway - long this time, instead of steep!



However the streets of Rüdesheim, winding up & down from the river, made up for the steepness.

The little tourist train saved me some breathless steps on the way up,
though I did enjoy the careful walk back down to the ship after my exploration.

I was pleased to walk on the cobblestones in a relatively flat area at the top of the town.

I headed quickly to the cable car ticket office
and was on the first ride of the morning.
From my little cabin there were great views
over the golden vineyards.





















The views were misty across the Rhine towards Bingen.

Heading towards the Niederwald Monument with the figure Germania, 250 metres above the Rhine, built between 1877 & 1883 to symbolise the re-establishment of the German Empire & Germany's unity. Unfortunately on this visit, it was having some restoration work done, so was all wrapped up!

But climbing the steps to the upper viewpoint was well worthwhile to me,
even though the misty conditions remained on the Rhine below.
After our morning in Rüdesheim, we cruised through the famous Rhine River Gorge. Perhaps one time I'll be lucky enough to enjoy travel via the train lines that seem to follow the river for much of the way, but either way, I don't think my footsteps will echo along the route!



Deutsches Eck
After the 65 kms of the Rhine Gorge, the end seems to be marked by seeing the first bridges across the river for a long time and we are approaching Koblenz, unmistakedly marked by the German Corner, which also marks the point where the Moselle River joins the Rhine.


A popular place for locals & tourists in the late afternoon sunshine of an October Saturday.

The equestrian statue is of the German Emperor Wilhelm I.

After our ship had berthed, I went ashore at dusk & walked a little in the town then out to the Corner.


The long river cruise ships that are staying overnight in Koblenz negotiate a very sharp turn into the Moselle River, where mooring is a lot smoother than on the fast-flowing Rhine.
As the sun sets, I'm walking back from the German Corner to my ship's landing place.



No comments:

Post a Comment